Quinta do Vallado

STORY

Established in 1716, Quinta do Vallado is one of the oldest, most famous estates in the Douro Valley. Once the property of the legendary Dona Antónia Adelaide Ferreira, it still belongs to her descendants. In the heart of the region, Quinta do Vallado spreads along both banks of the Corgo River, a tributary of the Douro. For almost 200 years, Quinta do Vallado produced mainly Port, shipped by Ferreira. Since the early 1990s, Vallado has sold still wine and Port under its own brand. They now hold over 70 hectares of vineyards near Peso da Régua, plus 30ha more recently planted at Quinta do Orgal, in Vila Nova de Foz Côa. The three cousins responsible for the estate, João Ferreira Álvares Ribeiro, Francisco Ferreira and Francisco Olazabal, have led the way in elevating Quinta do Vallado to prestigious international recognition. Vallado’s wine hotels – at Régua and in the Upper Douro in Vila Nova de Foz Côa – are critically acclaimed as among the region’s most successful.